Steamboat Landing, Canandaigua NY
Canandaigua’s Lakefront Development master-plan had stalled for years. The city gambled that investing in Lakeshore Drive street improvements and a multi-million dollar upgrade of Kershaw Park would stimulate private investments in new facilities to improve tourism and its commercial tax base. Having recognized the unique appeal of a waterfront attraction, Chrisanntha, Inc. had purchased and operated the “Canandaigua Lady”, a paddlewheel tour boat for dinner cruises and party excursions. Yet, other developments on the waterfront failed to materialize. Taking the initiative, Chrisanntha proposed and developed a lakefront restaurant/ banquet center utilizing the historic theme of a boat-landing from Canandaigua’s steamboat era.
Chrisanntha Inc.’s role in the development of Steamboat Landing included the following:
- Purchased lakefront parcel within the City’s Planned Lakefront Development zone
- Negotiated easements and access agreements with municipality and neighboring commercial interests.
- Undertook environmental and archeological investigations with particular concern for buried hazardous wastes due to the area’s history of having been a filled lakefront site with multiple roadside gas stations.
- Selected engineers to address unique site and foundation conditions, bearing on soft fill materials and waterproofing the full basement constructed below water level.
- Designed site plan and rezoned the parcel to address public and private parking needs.
- After conducting a lake depth survey, secured state easements, permanent dock and cruise routing permits for the Canandaigua Lady paddlewheel boat.
- Obtained municipal and utility permits and approvals required to complete the construction project.
- Completed a market study verifying the financial feasibiilty for a new 120 seat restaurant with additional patio dining and a 300 seat lakeside conference/banquet facility in Canandaigua.
- Selected and hired architect to create an inspiring lakeside destination, reutilizing century old Douglas Fir timbers reclaimed from the Welland Canal lock gates on the Niagara River.
- Secured construction and permanent mortgage financing for the project.
- Completed construction of public and private parking lots, restaurant, banquet area, kitchen, outdoor dining, and permanent dock on schedule for Steamboat Landing’s early summer opening.
- Enlisted private equity investors to create a partnership to own and operate the development.
- Obtained NYS Liquor License.
- Hired and supervised managers of the daily operations.
- This development is a focal point on the city’s lakefront, enabling visitors and local residents alike to enjoy its spectacular view of Canandaigua Lake, and is now the centerpiece for a proposed new 160 room lakefront hotel.
- Steamboat Landing was designed and developed by Chrisanntha, Inc. and constructed by Iversen Construction Corp.